Torrential rains on 22nd of August, played havoc in 5 Union Councils of Nowshehra district of Khyber Pakhtoonkhawa. The names of the UCs are Pirpiai, Azhakhel, Pushtoon Garhi, Aman Kot and Qasim Ali Bek. Torrential rains caused flash floods in local rivers and Nullahs that caused severe damage to the private and public infrastructure. The details are given under;
- Damages to property have been observed to the villages located on the banks of dry rivers (Khwar or Barsati nullahs)
- Approximately 400 households affected by the floods in all the three UCs mentioned.
- In low lying areas damage to the standing crops of vegetables and maze have also been reported due to flooding in the fields.
- According to the reports, 7 people have been reported missing feared dead.
- Provincial Minister , Mian Iftikhar Hussain (who belongs to Pabbi) is currently visiting the area to assess the damages.
- Other rivers namely Khyali, Jendi, Kabul, Shalum, Bara, Budni, Naguman, kurrum etc are said to be in mid level of floods. And people living on the banks have been alerted by the authorities.
So far no large scale displacement of affected population observed in these UCs and affected population is trying to repair the damaged houses, and they are immediate needs are given under,
- Water needs to be drained out from the fields on emergency basis to save the livelihoods of the local communities.
- Slush left by the flood water needs to be cleared from the affected HH and they need tools, wheelbarrows for this purpose.
- Hygiene kits will help the locals to control the spread of diseases.
- Clean drinking water and food is also required in some of the villages.
This situation update is prepared with the help of local volunteers who are in contact with SPO regional office, Peshawar, and released by Head of Disaster Preparedness and Response Department on 23rd of August 2012 at 03:15pm.